Sunday, January 18, 2015

Smelly Mama

The invitation for Noah's birthday party said that if we were going to leave our kids there we needed to remember to provide a cell number. This was Logan's first invitation that included any language about a drop-off party and I was due for a long run, so I arrived at the party cautiously optimistic in my running gear. This is the first class birthday party for Logan's age group and I don't know many of the parents yet, so if the other moms stayed, I'd have to stay and be social too, but I'd look like a fool in my running tights. Happily, I encountered a bunch of dads, dropping off the kids and getting back into their cars. I got Logan settled, thanked the mom and made my way back outside. One of the dads gleefully called over to me from his parked car, where he was putting on gloves and earbuds. "I'm going for a run!" "Me too!" I shouted back and we gave each other a wave and set off in different directions. 

I misjudged the time and was still 2 miles away when I realized I had less than 20 minutes until the party ended. I raced back and arrived, panting and sweaty to find that the dads were nowhere in sight. All of the moms were picking up and none of them looked like the mess I was. I put my head down, made a beeline for Logan, thanked the host, wished Noah a happy birthday, and rushed out. I'll be social next time, when I've showered. 

Once back in the car, I was still feeling self-conscious and asked Logan if I smelled bad. He replied quickly and simply "Yep." Oh no! In addition to looking like a mess, I also stunk. Sigh. Not a good first impression on the other moms. Then Logan chose the clarify. "Well, you don't stink. I think it's your car. And I think it's from the peanut butter cracker that's smushed into the floor back here."

Oh, well thank goodness for that. I guess. 

***********************************************

Brody was in and out of the shower quickly tonight, ready to read the first chapter of the first Harry Potter book. Logan was clearly impressed by his speed and asked how he showered so fast. Brody responded "I'm awesome."

***********************************************
Logan, while getting into the shower tonight, told me "Max used to be in AM kindergarten but now he's in PM kindergarten and I'm being legit." I asked him if he knew what it meant to be legit. He said "Yes, it means you're serious." Touché. 

No comments:

Post a Comment