Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Brody's first hockey injury

It's rare for Jacob to have a hockey game while the kids are awake, so we try to attend every 7:45 game to watch and support him. Brody loves going and often brings his Diego hockey stick and puck to play in the stands while his Daddy is on the ice. On Sunday Jacob took Brody early and he wowed the guys in the locker room with his slapshot, which is surprisingly accurate for a two year old.

Halfway through the game, as Logan was sleeping peacefully in Judy's arms, Brody was running up, down, left, and right in the stands. He was everywhere and having a great time. At one point he ran up to the enclosed viewing area and I followed to make sure he didn't get into any trouble. Of all places in the ice rink, this is the safest. It's carpeted and climate controlled. There are no stairs. It's enclosed in glass. Yet, this is the place where Brody managed to get his worst injury to date.

Brody was running towards the glass overlooking the rink to watch Jacob play and in his typical graceful style, tripped over his own feet. This is normal and happens often. However, this time there was a row of chairs in front of him, set up so fans can watch the action down on the ice. Brody pitched forward and hit his head on the bar that connects the chairs together. As he started to cry, I picked him up and apologized to the hockey mom sitting nearby while consoling Brody as best I could. When I got my first look at his face, I couldn't believe what I saw. All I could say was "ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh" as I ran out the door waving frantically for Mamie to come. Brody's entire right eye was covered in blood. I couldn't tell where he was cut or how badly he was injured. Once we were in the bathroom I sat him on the counter and held onto him while Mamie and Amy took care of his injury. Thankfully, as they wiped away the blood it started looking less and less serious. We found a cut that went along his eyebrow, a little less than an inch long. He'll probably have a scar but it wasn't nearly as bad an injury as I first feared. He's excited to wear Diego band-aids and will be able to call it his first hockey injury as he gets older. I'm sure it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment