Monday, May 10, 2010

OBX, May 2010

What a fun week Logan, Brody, and I had at the beach with Granny, Poppa, etc. The weather was beautiful and allowed us long days outside. We spent 3-4 hours on the beach or by the pool each day and with all of that activity, the boys were sleeping great at night. Brody is still afraid of the ocean, which was actually helpful as I had to keep track of both boys. It was nice to know that Brody could run free and not get in the water since he wouldn't go within 10 feet of the ocean's farthest reach. Logan spent the week on a beach towel, eating goldfish. He was happy as long as he had food. The birds figured us out mid-week and were anxiously awaiting our toss of the crackers that ended up in the sand.

Brody continues to love the sand while Logan didn't want to touch it. Logan looked like he was doing yoga or imitating a flamingo whenever I put him in the sand. One foot came off the ground and he would balance on one foot until I put him back on the towel. If the sand got on his hand, he shook it until I wiped it off.

After two mornings of Brody waking at 6:30am, I told him that he couldn't get up until the first number on the clock was 7. We talked about it throughout the day but I wasn't sure if he was getting it because he kept showing me 7s in the last number on the clock. Each time, I reinforced that in order to get out of bed, the first number must be a 7. That third morning, I rolled over to find Brody, standing on his bed pointing to the clock saying "look mama, seven." And it was 7:01. He did great for the rest of the week. When Logan woke at 6:45am Thursday morning, Brody looked at the clock concerned and told me that it wasn't 7 yet. I told him that Logan wasn't a big boy like Brody and we had to get up to get Logan. Brody looked like it was Christmas. He bounded out of bed and ran around like he had been awake for hours waiting for this exact moment. And he may have. I don't know when he was waking up but he was great about staying quiet until the clock said 7.

Thursday night was a big surprise. We were at dinner, eating outside on picnic tables with Logan sitting on top of the middle of the table. He started inching forward, as he always does right before he flops on his tummy or pushes himself back onto his booty. Mom, Joyce, and Laura got excited as I said "you guys haven't seen this enough to not get excited. He's been doing this for a month and still isn't crawling." At that, and I think just to spite me, Logan crawled across the table on his knees, right to me. We all screamed and clapped and he flopped onto his belly and looked pleased with himself. The other couple eating outside looked amused and left soon after. I think our screams coupled with Brody and Evelyn running all over the place were a bit much for anyone to handle. We were pretty good at clearing places out.

We have more beach trips planned for this summer- Pawley's in July, Ocean City in August, and possibly OBX again in October. By the end of summer both boys will have bleached blond hair and hopefully Brody will be more comfortable in the ocean and Logan will be ok with the sand. I'm really looking forward to all of these trips with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment