Thursday, April 9, 2009

Confession Time

Brody is two years old. Logan is due any day. Other than pictures, I have nothing to record the first two years of Brody's life. There are so many things from Brody's first two years that made me think: I hope this lasts forever. Of course, nothing ever does. Suddenly I have a toddler and struggle to remember the adorable sigh Brody would make after a good sneeze or how he used to tremble just before he peed, warning us to take cover. I don't want to forget those details and I know it's only going to get harder to hold onto the memories after Logan is born and we have to keep up with two boys.

Obviously I failed at scrapbooking. Brody's baby book has 7 or 8 pages and doesn't include the detail I'd like to record. I gave up on the book when he was 8 weeks old and instead created an electonic scrapbook for his first year. It's nice, but the focus is on pictures, not the silly details. I want a place to record the little things- like Brody's mispronunciation of the word ketchup (keppers) and downstairs (dinosaur) and the first time he locked the car door on us and smiled from the inside of the car saying "Hi Mama! Brody lock door."

My grandfather kept a daily diary. He wrote about the family, the town, his job, the weather, everything. He has books and books that my Dad is now pouring through. Even the uneventful entries are interesting because he's written about little things that would have otherwise been forgotten. So, what's an updated version of the daily diary? A blog. And that's how this got started. It's my attempt to take a lesson from my grandfather and start recording the little details that make every day with my family interesting- even when we aren't doing anything special. Hopefully one day Brody and Logan will see this and read it with the same interest that my father has in my grandfather's diaries. Even if it doesn't last that long, I'll consider it a success if it helps me remember the little things that make me love my boys more than anything else in this world.

Weaver Family, Winter 2008:



No comments:

Post a Comment