Friday, April 10, 2009

That's my boy

Brody is obviously his father's son. Since he was just a few days old Jacob's family has commented on how much Brody looked like his daddy. I can't deny it; the kid has very few features, if any that I can claim to have contributed. Even his blue eyes are far too blue to have come from my blue-gray eyed side of the family. I think Brody's bright blues are a product of his Mamie, passed down through Jacob.

Looks aside, I do see a few personality traits in Brody that I think have come from me. For one, he's slow to attempt new tricks. He was a late crawler, late walker, and late talker. However, once he decided he was ready to try any of those skills, he excelled at them. It's like he needs to watch those around him and study their movements before he tries something himself. He wants to make sure he has as much information as possible before leaping into a new activity. I think that comes from me.

Like his mother, Brody also has a love of sweets. He likes chocolate, cookies, cake, sugar candies, everything. He knows the crinkle of a candy wrapper and without even seeing what's inside he'll quickly say "I want some!" Tonight was a milestone for a new candy lover. Brody had his first Cadbury creme egg. They're my favorite treat for the Easter holiday and usually I guard them with a vengence. Nobody lays a hand on my creme eggs. But as I was rushing to get ready for Lindy and Steve's wedding rehearsal, I accidently left one, my last one, out on the table. When we came back from the dinner, Brody hoisted himself up on the chair and picked it up. In an attempt to not lose my last Cadbury creme egg, I tried to convince him that it was a ball, but there was no chance. He must have smelled the chocolatey-goodness. He started the peel the wrapper and had such a look of excitement as he realized it was chocolate underneath that I couldn't take it away from him. He looked at me with huge eyes and just said "oh!!" So, tonight, at just past 9pm, Brody and I shared his first Cadbury creme egg.

Most two year olds would have crushed the egg and gotten the creme filling everywhere, making a mess and eating very little of the egg. Not my Brody. He was very gentle with the egg, taking in equal parts chocolate and creme with each bite. He savored it. I couldn't help but watch and think: that's my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment